If you live in Kentucky, have Kentucky ancestors, or just have an interest in family history, you’re invited to join the Kentucky Genealogical Society! KGS specializes in Kentucky roots and also supports the pursuit of genealogy no matter where those roots may lead. Whether you are just starting out in your journey or are so experienced that librarians and records clerks know you by name, KGS offers you resources and support. Click on the Events and Publications tabs for details.
By joining, you will have access to all KGS member benefits. (See details below.) Your membership will support existing KGS programs and lead to new ones that can benefit researchers at all levels.
Join or renew online (using PayPal) or print and mail your application.
If joining online:
Remember that while the process is automated for you, it requires that a KGS volunteer manually enter your membership into a database before you can receive a log-in name and password for full access to the members-only benefits on the KGS website. Please allow up to 48 hours for your membership confirmation and log-in information to arrive by email.
If using the mail option, click "Join or Renew by Mail," print and fill out the application, and mail it with a check to:
Kentucky Genealogical Society
PO Box 153
Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
Levels of Membership:
KGS offers three levels of membership. Dues are annual, and your membership year runs for 12 months from the date you join.
Benefits of membership include:
- $20 — Individual
- $25 — Individual Contributing (Additional $5 goes to the KGS library fund, which the society uses to help the Kentucky Historical Society add to the holdings in the Martin F. Schmidt Research Library.)
- $30 — Household (Two people living at the same physical address; other persons living at that address may be included by adding $10 for each additional person.)
- $35 (or full Household Membership fee plus $5 if more than 2 persons included) — Household Contributing (Additional $5 goes to the KGS library fund, which the society uses to help the Kentucky Historical Society add to the holdings in the Martin F. Schmidt Research Library.)
- $15 — Institutional Member (for genealogical and historical societies, libraries and museums)
- Free admission to the KGS 2nd Saturday Genealogy programs held monthly (except August) in Frankfort
- Access to members-only resources on the KGS website, including pre-statehood and early statehood tax list images and videos of many 2nd Saturday Genealogy sessions
- Access to the KGS quarterly journal Bluegrass Roots, now published electronically and available in PDF form
- Discount registration for the KGS Annual Seminar, which is held the first Saturday in August and features a nationally recognized speaker
- Discount on back issues of Bluegrass Roots
Last update: 7 July 2017